Best surf swimsuits
As a lifelong surfer and self-confessed beach bum, I’ve spent countless hours in the hunt for the perfect wave, and almost as many in search of the perfect surf swimsuit.
📌⭐️Check out the comprehensive Blog 🏄🏻♀️Women Surfing -the ULTIMATE Guide
From battling unforgiving waves to lounging on the sandy shore, I know all too well that our swimwear isn’t just about looking good – it’s also our closest ally out on the water.
Whether you’re a seasoned surfer or a newbie to the waves, one thing never changes: the importance of a surf swimsuit that marries function and fashion.
You want a suit that stays put when you’re wiped out by a wave, offers sun protection during those long summer days, and of course, lets you express your unique style.
Over the years, I’ve tried and tested swimsuits of all shapes and sizes, and today, I want to share my findings with you.
So buckle up, because we’re about to dive into the world of surf swimsuits, exploring the best options out there to keep you stylish, comfortable, and confident while you ride the waves. Let’s make the next wave your best one yet!
Choosing the best surf swimsuit depends on a few different factors including the type of surfing you plan on doing, the climate, and your personal style and comfort preferences.
Here are a few categories of surf swimsuits that are well-regarded in the community:
Patagonia Women’s Nanogrip Nireta One-Piece: This swimsuit is designed for performance and includes innovative Nanogrip technology that stays put even in the roughest conditions.
- Patagonia Women’s Nanogrip Nireta One-PiecePros:
- Innovative Nanogrip technology offers extra secure fit even in rough conditions.
- Provides full coverage and a streamlined silhouette.
- Fair Trade Certified sewn, for those conscious of ethical manufacturing processes.
- Some may find the full-coverage design less stylish.
- Price is higher compared to some other swimsuit brands.
Seea Hermosa One Piece: A stylish, full-coverage suit with UPF 30+ to protect you from the sun.
- Stylish, vintage-inspired design.
- Provides full coverage with UPF 30+ sun protection.
- Made from recycled polyester, so it’s an environmentally friendly option.
- May not fit as snugly as some surfers prefer.
- Less color and pattern variety than other brands.
Rip Curl Mirage Ultimate Bikini: This bikini is designed with surfers in mind, featuring quick-dry fabric and secure ties for top and bottom.
- Designed specifically for surfers, providing secure fit.
- Quick-dry fabric keeps you comfortable out of the water.
- Bikini style offers less coverage and protection compared to one-piece suits or rashguards.
- Some users may find the sizing to be a bit off, so trying on before buying is advised.
Volcom Simply Solid V-Neck Top and Bottoms: This surf bikini provides a balance of style and function, with an adjustable neck tie and a pull-on bottom.
- Balance of style and function with adjustable neck tie and pull-on bottom.
- Part of Volcom’s Eco-True collection, made from recycled materials.
- Less supportive for those needing more bust support.
- Like all bikinis, it offers less coverage compared to one-pieces or rashguards.
Rashguards and Wetsuits:
Billabong Women’s 1mm Surf Capsule Sleeveless Springsuit: This wetsuit offers more protection than a traditional swimsuit and is ideal for cooler waters.
- Offers more protection from water temperature and sun than traditional swimsuits.
- Stylish, bold design sets it apart from more typical wetsuits.
- It’s pricier than most traditional swimsuits.
- Can be too warm for surfing in hotter climates or during summer.
Roxy Women’s Whole Hearted Long Sleeve Rash Guard: This rash guard provides protection from the sun and from the board, and it’s designed to fit snugly so that it doesn’t move around while you’re surfing.
- Provides good protection from the sun and the board.
- Fits snugly so that it doesn’t move around while surfing.
- Limited design options.
- No added bust support.
Hurley Women’s Supersuede Beachrider Boardshorts: Designed for comfort and durability with a nice range of motion, these shorts are a great choice for any surfer.
- Designed for comfort and durability with a good range of motion.
- Generally less expensive than a full swimsuit or wetsuit.
- Boardshorts alone do not offer upper body coverage or support.
- Supersuede material may not be as durable as other types of fabric.
O’Neill Women’s Water Resistant Stretch Boardshort: Known for their durability and comfort, these boardshorts also offer a back pocket for storage.
- Durable and comfortable, with a useful back pocket for storage.
- Resistant to water, helping the shorts dry quickly.
- Limited design options compared to some other brands.
- Some may find the shorts run smaller or larger than typical sizing.
Remember, the best surf swimsuit for you will depend on the conditions in which you’ll be surfing, the type of surfing you’ll be doing, and your personal comfort and style preferences.
Always opt for swimsuits that offer UV protection to protect your skin from sun damage, and make sure your choice is sturdy and secure enough for your surfing needs.
Surf swimsuits Buying guide
When you’re looking to buy a surf swimsuit, there are several factors to consider. Here’s a buying guide that can help you make an informed choice:
1. Type of Swimsuit:
- One-Piece: Provides more coverage and often more support than a two-piece. Ideal for more intense surfing where a secure fit is essential.
- Two-Piece/Bikini: Allows more freedom of movement and can be more comfortable in warmer conditions. Make sure it fits securely and won’t come loose while surfing.
- Rashguard/Wetsuit: Provides the most coverage and is often used in cooler waters or for long periods of sun exposure. Rashguards are usually thinner and less insulating than wetsuits.
The material should be durable, comfortable, and quick to dry. Nylon and polyester are commonly used due to their durability and quick-drying properties. Some swimsuits also incorporate elastane or spandex for a better fit and more flexibility.
3. UV Protection:
Extended exposure to the sun can cause damage to your skin. Many surf swimsuits offer Ultraviolet Protection Factor (UPF) ratings. Look for swimsuits with a UPF of 30 or more for decent protection.
4. Fit & Comfort:
The swimsuit should fit well and be comfortable to wear for long periods. Look for adjustable straps and closures to get a better fit. Keep in mind that swimsuits often fit differently in the water, and sizes can vary between brands.
Surfing can be tough on swimsuits, with exposure to salt water, sun, and the surfboard itself. Look for swimsuits made with high-quality materials and good craftsmanship.
6. Style & Design:
There are many styles and designs to choose from, so pick something that matches your personal style and makes you feel confident. This could be anything from a colorful bikini to a sleek, black wetsuit.
Many brands now offer swimsuits made from recycled materials or use manufacturing processes that are more environmentally friendly. If sustainability is important to you, consider these options.
The price of surf swimsuits varies widely, depending on the brand, material, and type of swimsuit. Decide on your budget beforehand and remember that sometimes paying a bit more for a high-quality swimsuit can save money in the long run as it will likely last longer.
When buying a surf swimsuit, it’s important to find a balance between comfort, functionality, and style that suits your individual needs and preferences. It can be helpful to read product reviews or talk to other surfers to get their recommendations.
Where to buy women’s surf swimsuits
There are many places where you can purchase women’s surf swimsuits, both online and in physical stores. Here are some options:
- Amazon: This global marketplace offers a vast selection of surf swimsuits from various brands and in all price ranges.
- Backcountry: This online retailer specializes in outdoor gear and carries a wide selection of high-quality surf swimsuits.
- Zappos: Known for their excellent customer service, Zappos offers a variety of surf swimsuits and other beachwear.
- Patagonia: This brand offers high-quality, sustainable swimwear designed specifically for surfing.
- Rip Curl: A well-known surf brand, Rip Curl offers a variety of surf-specific swimsuits.
- Billabong: Billabong is another iconic surf brand that offers a wide range of surf swimwear.
- Roxy: As one of the few surf brands specifically targeting women, Roxy offers a wide selection of surf swimsuits.
- O’Neill: This brand is known for its wetsuits, but also offers a range of surf-friendly swimsuits.
- Sporting Goods Stores: Stores like REI, Dick’s Sporting Goods, or Decathlon often carry a selection of surf swimsuits.
- Department Stores: Larger department stores, like Macy’s or Nordstrom, may carry surf swimsuits, particularly in coastal areas.
- Surf Shops: Local surf shops are likely to have a good selection of surf swimsuits and the staff can provide expert advice.
Remember to check return policies, especially when shopping online, to ensure that you can return or exchange the swimsuit if it doesn’t fit correctly. It can also be helpful to read customer reviews to get a sense of sizing and quality before making a purchase.
List of surf Bikini that stays on
When surfing, having a bikini that stays in place is essential. Here are a few top-rated options that are designed to stay put, even in rough surf:
- Sensi Graves Emma Top and Kyla Bottom: This brand is designed by a professional kiteboarder and offers a variety of adjustable tops and bottoms that are made to stay on, even during intense water sports.
- Patagonia Nanogrip Nireta Top and Bottom: Patagonia’s Nanogrip technology ensures a secure fit and the bikini is also Fair Trade Certified sewn.
- Rip Curl Mirage Ultimate Bikini: This bikini is designed specifically with surfers in mind, featuring a secure fit and quick-dry fabric.
- Roxy Fitness Athletic Tri Bikini Top and Bottom: Roxy’s athletic line is designed to stay in place during active sports. This style provides coverage while ensuring the bikini stays secure.
- Jolyn Europe Vent Top and Brazil Bottom: This brand specializes in bikinis for water sports. The Vent top has tie-back straps for an adjustable, secure fit, and the Brazil bottoms offer a drawstring around the waist for added security.
- Carve Designs Dahlia Top and Drew Bottom: With adjustable straps and full coverage, this bikini is designed to stay in place in the surf.
- Lululemon Will the Wave Long Sleeve One Piece: For those looking for a bit more coverage, this one-piece from Lululemon is designed to stay in place and protect against the sun.
Remember that what works best will depend on your body and your surfing style. You may have to try a few different styles and brands before you find the perfect fit. Also, make sure to care for your swimwear properly to maintain its elasticity and ensure it continues to stay in place.
Zealous is a well-regarded brand that creates swimwear specifically designed for water sports. The brand prides itself on creating unique, functional, and sustainable products.
Here are a few things to note about Zealous swimwear:
- Design: Zealous swimwear is known for its vibrant designs and patterns. The swimwear is designed to not only function well in the water but to also stand out with bold colors and unique prints.
- Functionality: The brand emphasizes the performance aspect of their swimwear, designing them to stay put during intense activities like surfing and competitive swimming.
- Sustainability: Zealous swimwear is produced with sustainability in mind. The company uses a fabric made from recycled material for their products and strives to create durable products that last, reducing the need for replacement and waste.
- Range: The brand offers a range of products, from bikinis to one-pieces, with different cuts to suit various needs and preferences.
- Availability: Zealous swimwear can be purchased through their official website and selected retailers. Be aware that availability may vary depending on your location.
About the Author: Hi! Thanks for reading My article, I hope you enjoyed it and helps make your Outdoor Activities more adventurous and fun. If you found this article helpful, please share it with a friend and spread the joy. Be More the outdoors and have loads of fun!